Code of Ethics
Northern English Setter Society
GENERAL CODE OF ETHICS
All members of the Northern English Setter Society undertake to abide by its general Code of Ethics,
- Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
- Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, or who carries out a caesarean section on a bitch may report such operations to the Kennel Club.
- Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
- Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
- Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
- Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
- Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties
- Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
- Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
- Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
- Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
- Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available. .
- Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers, laboratories or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand alone items (not accompanying a dog).
- Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristic of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
- Will recognise that the aim of breeding is to replenish the show stock within the breed and to improve the standard of English Setters generally. Will at all times maintain a high standard of health and care of dogs they own.
- Will not breed from any bitch prior to 24 months of age and not more frequently than two consecutive seasons followed by not less than a full years rest from breeding. Not breed from any dog seriously affected by an inherited defect or with a nervous or uncertain temperament.
- Imported dogs used for breeding, and any puppies kept for breeding sired by a foreign sire should be mandatory tested for NCL and PRA4 DNA testing unless proven hereditary clear for the conditions.
- Not knowingly allow a stud to mate a bitch which would be disqualified by this code.
- Will exercise all possible care as to the suitability of new owners and their home environment when selling or transferring a dog, including those placed on breeding terms.
- Members, when breeding dogs, adopt as a minimum standard the principles and recommendations as embodied in the Kennel Club’s Assured Breeder Scheme.
Breach of these provisions may result in the expulsion from a club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.
Agreed at NESS AGM on 1st March 2020